Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Guillain-Barré Syndrome





This is a condition that I learned about when reading The Autoimmune Epidemic by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. "Guillain-Barré syndrome, or GBS, usually attacks a month or so after a patient has had a common viral or bacterial infection." _ "an autoimmune illness in which the nerve's myelin sheaths are destroyed by the body's own immune system." To me, this definition sounds interestingly similar to Multiple Sclerosis. _"infusions of immunoglobulin, or other people's healthy immune cells, the standard treatment for GBS." To read much more into this enlightening topic, you may check this book out at your local library. However, I must admit, the more that I read this book, the more I wish I owned it: great as a reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment