Friday, September 3, 2010
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
A 2007 study by Columbia University suggests a link between eating cured meats, such as bacon, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nitrites were posited as a possible cause.
Many foods, especially cured meats such as bacon and hot dogs, use nitrates to preserve color and maintain microbial safety. Nitrate is harmless, but it can convert to nitrite (when cooked), which can form nitrosamines, a powerful cancer-causing chemical, in your body. Whenever possible, look for nitrate-free preserved meats. When you do eat foods containing nitrates, have a glass of orange juice at the same time (for instance, orange juice with your morning bacon). Vitamin C is known to inhibit the conversion to nitrosamines in your stomach.
People who eat cured meats are more likely to develop certain diseases such as lung cancer.
One serving a week, max. Bacon is too unhealthy to be consumed on a regular basis (numerous times in a short amount of time).
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
What is the status of the bill?
* April 24, 2008 –- The Newborn Screening Lives Act is signed into law by the President.
* April 8, 2008 –- The Newborn Screening Lives Act is passed by the House of Representatives.
* December 13, 2007 –- The Newborn Screening Lives Act is passed by the Senate.
* November 14, 2007 –- The Newborn Screening Lives Act is approved by the Senate Health
Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee.
* October 15, 2007 –- The Newborn Screening Lives Act is introduced in the House.
* July 23, 2007 –- The Newborn Screening Saves Lives Act is introduced in the Senate.
This is a bill that has been passed that allows all newborns' DNA to be collected, which is in act NOW! I feel that this is something that we (the people) should have had a chance to vote on. I also feel that the parent's should have the right to withdraw their newborns participation in this DNA collection if they wished to. I first heard of this the night before last on a show on the History channel. I couldn't believe it, regardless of it being true. Is the only way to get out of this through having your child/giving birth at home or in a naturopathic clinic/birthing center? I will try to stay informed on this topic. Until then, God bless.